Gathering the diversely gifted children of God as "many yet one in Christ".
Since its founding, HIM has gathered believers from across denominations, generations and cultures around Jesus to be the Body of Christ.
HIM equips, embraces, emboldens, and encourages men, women and youth toward Christian transformation, unity, and lives that make a difference now and for eternity.
WHAT HIM FOCUSES ON:
Worship, Hope And Tools — God above,
God in the midst, God in the doing.
HIM nurtures unity amid diversity, trusting in God who is Greater than our hearts.
1 John 3:20
HIM was born in a Greyhound bus in 1983.
Dan and Pam Chun were studying in the Holy Land, rumbling up and down the scorched and dusty roads with a rag-tag group of pastors, priests and nuns. One day in the bus, Dan shared a long-held vision with a priest friend. “What if the world’s best Christian communicators and teachers could come to speak regularly at a conference in Hawaii? What if all the Christian leaders could hear and be trained by them? What if local Christian churches from across denominations were impacted and renewal was sparked?” Our friend said, “Not what if but when.” That moment, HIM took its first breath.
HIM was incorporated as “Hawaiian Islands Ministries” three months later in October 1983. The ministry sponsored its first HONOLULU Conference in 1985. More than 400 people came. We thought that was a lot. HIM’s all-volunteer staff said, “Let’s do it again in 2 years!” Attendance, church participation and enthusiasm grew, and the crew said, “One more time!”
HIM we proclaim, admonishing and teaching every person with all wisdom so that we may present every person mature in Christ. Colossians 1:28
“HIM exists to equip, unify, and encourage pastors and leaders in Christian ministry”
HIM’s means for accomplishing this is through seminars and conferences held in Hawaii. Yes, that means equipping pastors and church leaders, but also Sunday school teachers, prayer teams, parents, youth, business leaders and leaders of non-profits. We don’t need high profile positions to lead. We just need to use what God has given us where we are.
Statement of Faith
- There is one God eternally existing in three persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, Holy and inspired by God, of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- God the Father sent us his Son, Jesus Christ, fully human and fully divine, who was born of a virgin. He lived a sinless life. His death on the cross provided our redemption. He was bodily resurrected and ascended into heaven and has a present ministry of intercession for us. We look forward to His return in power and glory.
- God created humans to have fellowship with Him, but they defied God by sinfully going their own way. As a result, every human needs God’s saving grace to end this alienation from Him. Salvation comes only through saving grace, trusting in Jesus Christ alone— not human effort — and must be received personally by repentance and faith.
- The Holy Spirit is involved in the miracle of the conversion of an unbeliever and indwells believers, enabling them to live a Godly life. Among many offices, the Holy Spirit equips believers for personal growth for service to the church. The church’s role is to glorify God and serve those in need.